Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Floyd Mayweather's ESPN Chicago interview with the Afternoon Saloon

They don’t call him “Money” for nothing. Now that Floyd Mayweather doesn’t have very much going on in terms of boxing, he’s found another way to spend his time and make money at the same time. Mayweather has turned to gambling on sporting events. Mayweather recently bet on the Chicago Bulls and posted on his Twitter account a picture of his betting slip that showed he won over $37,000.

Nice chunk of change just based on one night of betting. However nothing close to what he could make if he finally steps inside the ring with Manny Pacquiao in a fight that every boxing fan wants to see. Since that is clearly not happening any time soon, Mayweather will just have to settle on betting on sporting events. It’s working pretty well right now.

Floyd Mayweather joined ESPN Chicago with the Afternoon Saloon to talk about his bet that he made on the Bulls, what is the most he has won on a bet, how often he bets on sporting events, whether or not he is going to fight Manny Pacquiao, and answers his critics that believe he is “ducking” Manny Pacquiao.

How much money is the most he has won in a bet:

“In a week? Or in one bet? Probably $560,000 to $700,000. (Host: Do you remember what it was or remember the game?) I know the last big, big bet that I made, one of the largest bet was the New England Patriots. I think it was against the San Diego Chargers. I bet them for the money line of $500,000 and it brought back $560,000.”

On why he bet so much on the Bulls:

“At first I was going to bet $100,000 on the first half, but I happened to be asleep because the Atlanta Hawks happened to be on a slump. At this particular time, what’s going on in the NBA right now, Derrick Rose is the leading MVP candidate in the NBA right now I truly believe. I believe in his skills. He’s an amazing player and that’s one of the players you can bet on. If the team can stay 100 percent, they have a good chance to get to the Finals facing probably the Heat in the East. Then in the West this year I think it’s either going to be the Spurs or the Lakers.”

How often he bets on sporting events:

“Every day. You have to find one that you truly believe in and truly feel you’ve got the ups and that’s the one that you load up on.”

On a potential Manny Pacquiao fight:

“The thing is this I’m an American citizen and I represent this country with the red, white, and blue. The only thing I want is the people in my country to stand behind me. I’m in my own country and I have a lot of people against me. Our country is a great country, it’s a clean country, and all I ask him to do is take the test, that’s it. He takes the test and we got a fight.”

What he would say to the people that believe he is “ducking” Manny Pacquiao:

“Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Floyd Mayweather goes out and makes money for Floyd Mayweather. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. When it’s all said and done and my career is over, the fans don’t come pay my bills, the fans don’t put my kids through college, and the fans don’t put my kids through private school, I do. Through my hard work.”

If he realizes a fight against Pacquiao could potentially save boxing:

“My job is to keep my family close and take care of my family. That’s my job. My job is not to fight for everybody else, my job is to fight for Floyd Mayweather. You don’t go to work for the radio station for everybody else, you go to work to do what you do because that’s what you like to do. When it’s time to hang it up or give it up that’s what you do.”

More on Pacquiao:

“You guys must realize this about Pacquiao, that’s just a media creation. That’s somebody who just came around. For someone to beat me would be abnormal, for someone to be him is normal because he has already been beaten three times and knocked out twice. It’s nothing new.”

Listen to Floyd Mayweather on ESPN Chicago here

No comments:

Post a Comment